Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year Visitors

Chinese New Year is fast approaching. It reminded me of the time when I was still working in Jurong. Every new year my colleagues came visiting and we had an enjoyable time together. A group picture was taken each year for remembrance. They were Chinese, Malay and Indians. It was real racial harmony.
Chines New Year 1978 & 1979
Many Chinese are looking forward to this coming Chinese New Year because it will be the 'Year of the Dragon'. An auspicious year for most Chinese who wishes to have a 'dragon' son or grandson. Dragon is the fifth sign of lunar cycle. There are five types of dragon and each has an element such as metal, water, wood, fire and earth. My son was born under the sign of 'wood dragon'. He has chosen to live in US. During one dragon year I painted a dragon on the wall to remind me of him. An elder relative who came visiting then told me that my dragon had four claws which was no good and advised me to erase it. I did not bother to find out the reason then. After the festive period was over I erased the dragon painting with a few coats of white paint. Each lunar animal sign has a cycle is twelve years. When the dragon year was approaching, I painted a five claws dragon on another wall. I still do not understand why a four claws dragon is bad. Perhaps, someone can enlighten me.

No comments: