Total Pageviews

Friday, July 24, 2009

Nostalgic TV Programmes

Many of us grew up with movies and tv series. When we see the shows repeated on the tv or cinema screen after a long time, our minds would flashed back to the good old days. In Singapore we seldom have 40 to 50 years movie or tv repeats, especially those in black and white. Here in US you are able to watch them daily.






I saw Little House on the Prairie. The characters in the story were Pa, Ma, Mary, Laura and baby Carie. I remember John Landon who acted as the father and Melissa Gilbert as Mary. I quickly made a search on my son's tv which has more than a hundred channels. Fortunately, it did not take me long to find out the channels that showed old movies or tv series such as The Beverly's HILLIBILLIES, Gunsmoke, MASH and many others.




Those who had seen black and white tv in the old days would remember The Beverly's HILLBILLY'. The family consisted of uncle Jed and his mother, young man Jethro and the girl called Jane. It was a great comedy show then.



The above picture is from Gunsmoke. The man on the left is the Marshall from Dodge City







MASH was another popular comedy in bygone days. I am sure most of you had seen the series could remember the above characters.

8 comments:

yg said...

i have never been a big tv fan but i watched little house on the prairie and m.a.s.h when i was young.

Unknown said...

Hi!

Hope you are having a great and fun time in the USA. You are indeed fortunate to view some of the old TV shows, which of course, will bring back the good old memories.

'Micheal' Landon, who acted in Little House on the Prairie, also acted in Bonanza, as Little Joe.
I especially liked the Western Cowboy shows like The Big Valley, Bonanza, Maverick, Gunsmoke, Have Gun will Travel and so on.

Lorne Greene acted as Ben Cartwright, the patriarch, in Bonanza. Your picture no. 5 shows Lorne Greene.

James Arness was Marshal Matt Dillon in Gunsmoke.

I recollect the Andy Williams Show whereby The Jackson Five and The Osmonds, launched their careers and fame.

I had many good laughs watching the slapstick comedies of The Little Rascals/Our Gang and Laurel and Hardy, not forgetting The Three Stooges and Charlie Chaplin.

BTW, Philip, I viewed today a couple of your photos you submiitted for the 'Then & Now' photo contest. You can view them online in Today Newspaper's website.

I wish you the Best of Luck.

Cheers,

PChew said...

Thanks Dan for filling in the details. Those slapstick comedy movies really bring back fond memories.

fuzzoo said...

i loved Little House on the Prairie. I also read the books and now my children read some of those books too. I wanted my kids to watch the show and was looking for the DVD set at the Library @ Esplanade but they only had the later season when Laurie's grown up.

Lam Chun See said...

Yes, the guy on the left in Pic #5 is Lorne Greene.

Lam Chun See said...

Philip. You and your readers may want to check out an article I posted in 2007 titled Days of Black and White TV. I submitted this rather lengthy article to a blog competition organized by NHB and won the $400 1st prize. Neat eh?

Anyway, besides what I have written you will find the many comments from my regular readers quite informative.

PChew said...

Chun See, I just read your 2007 post on Days of Black & White TV. I remember all the Western tv programs except Big Valley starrying Babara Stanwyck. Thanks for the fond memories.

Marmoot said...

Bonanza !
Anyone remember "Hap Sing" ?
He is my favourite character because he always speaks a few words of Toisan(Sei yup) which is also my dialect.

The thing I liked most about the Beverly Hillbilies was the introduction song which I still remember the words, and that old lady that sounds like donald duck and screams "Jed ! Jed !"