NAAFI Shackle Club 1947
Photo from Peter Chan
The NAAFI Services shop was at Beach Road opposite Raffles Institution (RI) between 1947 and 1952. It's more than half a century ago and only those above 60 years old who had come across the building can remember especially the RI boys.
The building was originally a fleet canteen exclusively for the naval personnel. It was later extended and renovated at a cost of $40,000 to include all British armed forces personnel.
On 2 July 1947 the NAAFI Shackle Club was officially opened by Mrs L H Cox, wife of the G.O.C. Singapore District. She drank beer from an inscribed silver tankard to commemorate the opening of the club.
The Straits Times 2 July 1947
In 1950 the vacant land opposite Raffles Hotel was leased to the British Armed Forces under their organisation NAAFI. They erected a clubhouse and called it Britannia Club which was designed by Palmer and Turner. It was opened on 17 Dec 1952.
Book Ref: Singapore Then & Now by Ray Tyres
ST 10 July 1951